Inclusion & Adaptive Programs Specialist/Instructor (Temporary/Seasonal Part-Time)
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
PLEASE NOTE: Mozilla Firefox® is the preferred Browser, version 3.5 and later
|Posting Title||Inclusion & Adaptive Programs Specialist/Instructor (Temporary/Seasonal Part-Time)|
|Job Requisition Number||COA075567|
|Division Name||Parks & Recreation|
This position will be filled at one of the following based on qualifications:
Activity Specialist (Salary: $13.50 per hour)
Specialty Instructor I (Salary: $14.00 per hour)
Specialty Instructor II (Salary: $14.50 per hour)
|Notes to Applicants||
The Inclusion & Adaptive Programs Activity Specialist is a temporary/seasonal staff position scheduled to work between 20 and 40 hours per week in a recreation programs setting specializing in adaptive programming for special needs. Center locations are:
• North Austin Worksites:
• Central Austin Worksites:
• South Austin Worksites:
• Central Programming Inclusion Unit provides assistance with participants with special needs that might be at several varying recreation centers.
• Successful applicants must demonstrate strong leadership, exhibit creative thinking, perform good judgment, and have excellent communication skills
• Applicants must also possess reliability, trustworthiness, and be safety conscious.
• Detailed, complete Employment Application is required to help better evaluate the applicant’s qualifications – minimum and preferred as noted on the job posting.
$13.50 – $14.50 per hour
Variable – up to 20-40 hours per week
• Programming hours vary at each worksite. Schedule may include weekends, evenings, overnights and /or holidays.
|Job Close Date ||06/30/2017|
|Type of Posting||External|
|Department||Parks & Recreation|
|Regular/Temporary||Temporary (No benefits)|
|Grant Funded or Pooled Position||Not Applicable|
|Location||Various City of Austin Recreation Centers|
Preferred Experience in the following:
- Recreational Games and Activities (Outdoors)
|Duties, Functions and Responsibilities||
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Section –
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Have the willingness and ability to work with children and teens, including youth with special needs.
Responsibilities – Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities||
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Section –
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of youth programs and activities.
|Does this job require a criminal background investigation?||This position requires a criminal background investigation|
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
|Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within||the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.|
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and have a High School diploma or GED by hire date. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
Have you previously worked for the City of Austin, Parks and Recreation Department? If yes, please indicate dates, work unit/section and position held at the Parks and Recreation Department.
(Open Ended Question)
Which City of Austin Recreation Center(s) would you prefer to work at (select from list below)?
- Alamo Recreation Center
- Austin Recreation Center
- Danny G McBeth Recreation Center
- Delores Duffie Recreation Center
- Dittmar Recreation Center
- Dottie Jordan Recreation Center
- Dove Springs Recreation Center
- Givens Recreation Center
- Gustavo “Gus” L Garcia Recreation Center
- Hancock Recreation Center
- Lorraine “Grandma” Camacho Activity Center
- Metz Recreation Center
- Montopolis Recreation Center
- Northwest Recreation Center
- Oswaldo A.B. Cantu/Pan American Recreation Center
- Parque Zaragoza Recreation Center
- Pickfair Community Center
- South Austin Recreation Center
- Turner-Roberts Recreation Center
- Virginia L Brown Recreation Center
Briefly describe your recreational programming experience, the types of classes and activities that you have implemented and taught, and the age groups that you have developed programs for.
(Open Ended Question)
Describe your experience working with youth and adults with special needs.
- Less than 1 year
- 1 or less than 3 years
- 3 or less than 5 years
- 5 years or more
Are you bilingual in English/Spanish or English/other language?
- Fluent in two or more languages - read, write, speak
- Bilingual and able to speak in a second language
- Bilingual and understand if someone is speaking to me in a second language
- None of the above
The position requires CPR/AED and First Aid certifications. Will you be able to obtain these certifications within 30 days of hire?
Do you have a valid Texas Class C driver’s license or the ability to acquire by hire date?
If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?